Sunday, August 28, 2011

Fried dried fish (Unakameen/Karuvaadu )

This is a quick and easy recipe for enjoying fried dried fish. The best way to enjoy this dish is to mix the hot rice with the left over spicy sauce from the pan and have your fried fish with it. It's just scrumptious! If you are a dried fish fan like me, stock up a few packets of dried fish in your freezer. I usually have some white fish(para meen), anchovies(netholi meen) and some silver belly fish(mullan). Trust me...It really comes in handy on  a lazy day.

Here I have used silver belly fish(mullan). It is best to fry this type of fish since it has a lot of bones.

Ingredients:
Dried fish 
Red chilli powder- 1-1 1/2 tsp 
Salt
Coconut oil 

Cleaning the fish: Remove the head and tail of the fish. Also peel the outer skin of the fish. Clean it well with few changes of water to remove any silt  that is sticking to the fish.  

Marinate the cleaned fish with few pinches of salt and red chilli powder. Let it marinate for few minutes.

 
On medium heat, add some oil to a frying pan. Add the marinated fish once the oil has started heating.

 
Do not flip it immediately. Once the fish has browned on the bottom part, turn them to the other side.

  
Have this mouthwatering fried dried fish (Unakameen fry) with some hot rice. 
Do not forget to mix the rice with the left over sauce from your pan. Enjoy!








3 comments:

  1. Unakameen Karuvaddu looks a lot like from my Grandmoms kitchen so very authentic.Thank you dear for sending this over to Kerala Kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Smitha, its a very new recipe to me...will give it a try soon...found you through KK...Glad to follow you...hope to see you soon in my blog...do check the ongoing events and please participate
    Event :My Diwali My Way
    Event: Kerala Kitchen

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Food my companion!
Thank you for your comments!