Sunday, August 28, 2011

Yellow Plantain Fry (Ethakka appam/Pazham pori) with Coconut chutney


 
This is one of my favorite snacks. I can literally binge on them. Every time I make this, it takes me back to those days when we used to travel during our summer vacations to my native place Kerala. I used to urge my parents to buy this for me in the train. Today, I was desperately craving for this and ended up making it with Coconut chutney and wanted to share it with all of you.
Here it goes........



INGREDIENTS:

Ripe plantains - 2
Flour - 1 cup 
Baking soda - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric - few pinches
Sugar - 1-2tbsp
A pinch of salt
Oil for frying


PREPARATION:

Peel the bananas and cut them into 3 parts. Now cut each part lengthwise into 4 thin slices.


Prepare the batter by mixing flour, baking soda, turmeric, sugar, salt, and some water. Make sure that the consistency of the batter is not too thick nor too thin.
 
 
On a high flame, heat some oil in a shallow pan. Once it is hot and sizzling, dip one slice of banana into the flour mixture and slide it slowly into the oil.


Using tongs, flip it to the other side. Take it out once it is golden brown in color.
These Ethakka appams can be enjoyed either with some coconut chutney or by themselves. 




Making Coconut Chutney:


INGREDIENTS:

Grated coconut - 1/2 cup
Green chilli -1/2-1 (depends on your spice level)
Ginger - 1/2" (peeled)
Curry leaves - 4-5 leaves
Salt to taste




METHOD:
 
Add all these ingredients to the mixer with very little water just enough to pulse. Pulse it for 5-6 times until the ginger, green chilli and the curry leaves gets finely mixed with the coconut. The chutney has to have a coarse texture not a smooth paste.



Enjoy this yummy snack with fresh coconut chutney!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Food my companion!
Thank you for your comments!