Sunday, May 15, 2011

Dinner at Amber!

We were back at Amber again this weekend after almost a month to satisfy my son's craving for their mouthwatering butter chicken.  I consider myself very lucky to be living in Silicon Valley where one can find restaurants offering all the different cuisines of this world.  Not to mention we have Indian restaurants in every nook and corner of Silicon Valley.  Amber India is one such restaurant where one can satisfy cravings for Mughlai  inspired North Indian  and Tandoori dishes.

      I had visited Amber a couple of times a decade back and had tried only their buffet and came to the conclusion that it was not really worth all that money.  Recently, a close friend of mine asked  me to try their a la carte dishes. Initially, I was a little hesitant  since Amber is a bit on the pricey side.  Entrees are $10-25, with most being in the $15-20 range.  But anyhow, I decided to give it a shot  and we ordered a few things out of which their Tandoori chicken blew me away.  First of all, it did not have any coloring on it. It was so juicy and tender that a full plate of Tandoori chicken disappeared in no time.  This has made us go there almost every weekend.  In fact, the host there knew us so well that he started offering us the same table every time we showed up there. 




On Thursday night when my son came to kiss me goodnight, he promptly reminded me that he wanted to go to Amber for dinner on Friday, leaving me with no other choice! I did not even have a shadow of a chance to use my well thought-out excuse, "Oops, I forgot to make a reservation, let's go somewhere else." The other thing I forgot to mention about Amber is that you have to make a reservation.  And don't choose peak time because the Amber at Mountain View gets packed during peak hours.  Even though you have made a reservation, you will end up waiting till they find you a table.

Their menu is extensive and I have tried most of their dishes that have caught my imagination and my all time favorite is their Tandoori chicken.This weekend, I found another item to add to it and that was this Naan/Bread called Frontier Naan (Naan stuffed with nuts and raisin paste).  It definitely completes the Mughlai experience.  Now I have found a new craving to go back to Amber and can't wait for Friday to arrive soon......

1 comment:

Welcome to Food my companion!
Thank you for your comments!